Prep 12 mins
Cook 30 mins
Originally from Shape magazine and adapted to suit my tastes and simplify the preparation. This is healthy and comforting with a pleasing, but approachable combination of spices that even picky eaters will enjoy. Though full of flavor this is not spicy hot, so feel free to adjust to your own tastes. A word of caution, this makes 6 perfect portions for my weight watching lifestyle but if you have hungry eaters at your table, it may only serve 4 or 5.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken breasts or 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml fat-free chicken broth
- 226.79 g tomato sauce
- 59.14 ml dark rum
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml clove, ground
- 0.59 ml allspice
- 0.59-2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 411.06 g can black beans, drained
- 946.36 ml cooked brown rice
- Coat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle pepper on chicken and cook in skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, so that the surfaces have a nice brown color and are no longer opaque. Remove the chicken to a plate and return the pan to heat.
- In the same skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion . If the pan become dry, add 2 tablespoons of broth to skillet. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until onion is soft, stirring frequently. In the last minute of cooking, add the garlic.
- Add tomato sauce, remaining broth and rum to skillet and mix well. Add green and/or red pepper, reserved chicken and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 min or until chicken is tender and liquid has thickened.
- Stir in beans and heat another 2-3 minutes Place rice on large platter and top with chicken and bean mix.
Sorry, toni -- ingredients looked inviting -- was just not to our taste.
This is very good. The directions are clear and easy to follow. I used skinless chicken thigh but left the bone in to enhance the flavor. The sauce is flavorful and not too spicy. I also served it with Buttered Spinach and Rice instead of brown rice. Thank you for a nice healthy recipe.
This is so good! I had some cooked chicken, so it was really fast to put together. I added lots of red pepper flakes because I love spicy. The spices and the rum add a wonderful aroma and flavor to this. I served it over some leftover Buttered Spinach and Rice. Delicious and low fat - yay! Thanks for posting.