Originally from Shape magazine and adapted to suit my tastes and simplify the preparation. This is healthy and comforting with a pleasing, but approachable combination of spices that even picky eaters will enjoy. Though full of flavor this is not spicy hot, so feel free to adjust to your own tastes. A word of caution, this makes 6 perfect portions for my weight watching lifestyle but if you have hungry eaters at your table, it may only serve 4 or 5.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- Coat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle pepper on chicken and cook in skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, so that the surfaces have a nice brown color and are no longer opaque. Remove the chicken to a plate and return the pan to heat.
- In the same skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion . If the pan become dry, add 2 tablespoons of broth to skillet. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until onion is soft, stirring frequently. In the last minute of cooking, add the garlic.
- Add tomato sauce, remaining broth and rum to skillet and mix well. Add green and/or red pepper, reserved chicken and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 min or until chicken is tender and liquid has thickened.
- Stir in beans and heat another 2-3 minutes Place rice on large platter and top with chicken and bean mix.