Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Split broilers finished off with a chutney glaze. These are done in the oven but could be adapted to the grill. Easily doubled.
- 1 broiler chicken, halved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum, divided
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce (or more to taste)
- 5 ounces mango chutney
- lemon slice (for garnish)
- lime slice (for garnish)
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F Coat a large, shallow baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken halves and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, make a paste by mixing together brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of the rum, lime juice, lemon pepper, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, garlic powder, and hot pepper sauce; set aside.
- Place the chicken, skin side up, in baking pan.
- Rub spice paste evenly over the chicken. Bake for 45 minutes or until the chicken is fork tender.
- Whisk chutney and remaining 1 tablespoon of rum together until blended.
- Spoon chutney mixture over chicken and bake about 3-5 minutes more or until chutney is warm.
- Arrange chicken on a serving platter. Garnish with lime, lemon, and parsley.