Prep 8 mins
Cook 45 mins
This sauce has the perfect balance, thanks Sunny A. It's my favorite for drumsticks. I buy the big bulk packages of drumsticks and whip up this sauce. Marinating and basting options follow. I just baste as it cooks and it's delicious. Recipe is for 3 lbs. chicken wings. I use 12 big drumsticks and have no sauce left over.
- 1 -2 jalapenos or 1⁄2 habanero, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar or 1 tablespoon splenda brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Combine jalapenos through scallions in a blender and puree. Add vinegar, lime, orange juice and blend until smooth.
- To Marinate: Place chicken in bag, add marinade, refrigerate for 4-6 hours. Remove chicken and bake. Meanwhile, boil marinade and reduce. Use the sauce to glaze the chicken.
- To Baste : Spray baking pan, salt and pepper drumsticks, baste on skin side up, cook for 10-15 min., flip, baste other side and continue until fully cooked. The crispy skin is so good.
- I cook drumsticks at 450 for 35-40 minutes and they crisp up well for me. If I want extra crispy I'll broil for a couple minutes too.