Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great island flavor - this recipe is perfect for the family who has coconut lovers and coconut haters. Since all servings are individually packaged, you can put coconut in as you choose.
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 15 ounces pineapple chunks in juice or 15 ounces crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 8 teaspoons lime juice
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 sheets aluminum foil
- nonstick cooking spray
Caribbean Jerk Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (use much more than this for hotter flavor)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (use less than this if using more hot sauce)
- For the jerk seasoning, combine allspice, dried thyme leaves, paprika, hot pepper sauce, and vegetable oil in small bowl, mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees or preheat grill to high.
- Spray the four foil pieces with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine hot rice, red pepper, coconut, pineapple, brown sugar, and lime juice (add coconut last if preparing packets for coconut-haters first).
- Put ¼ of the rice mixture in the center of each foil sheet.
- Rub Jerk Season over chicken breast halves, and place on top of rice mixture on foil sheets.
- Wrap and seal foil to form 4 packets.
- Bake 18-20 minutes on a cookie sheet in preheated oven or grill 18-20 minutes on high in covered grill.
Vacation on a plate! Wonderful and interesting flavors. I prepared as a casserole and sealed with aluminum foil and baked at 375 F for about 40 minutes. When it was done I sliced the chicken pieces and placed on top of rice. I used hot paprika in the jerk seasoning and we used the hot sauce (Jamaica Hell Fire) to taste (because some like it HOT!) This was prepared for ZWT5.