Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Hot, spicy and tasty. Serve with a dark green salad and more beer! I found this in the Chicago Sun-Times FOOD section, it's originally from the National Beer Wholesalers Association.
- 5 -6 skinless chicken leg quarters
- 2 tablespoons dry jamaican jerk spice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups parboiled rice
- 1 (12 ounce) bottledark bock beer
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans or 1 (16 ounce) can pink beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Coat chicken all over with jerk seasoning.
- In a large Dutch oven or other large pan with lid, warm oil over medium heat.
- Cook chicken in two batches, turning frequently, until well-browned, about 8-10 minutes per batch.
- Remove chicken to plate.
- Pour off all but about 2 T. pan oil.
- To drippings in pan, add onion, chilies, ginger, garlic and salt.
- Cook, stirring 3 to 4 minutes, until onion is lightly browned.
- Stir in rice and cook for one additional minute.
- Add beer, coconut milk, beans and half of the cilantro.
- Return chicken to pot along with any accumulated juices.
- Bring chicken mixture to a boil, cover pot; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 30 to 35 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in remaining cilantro and serve hot.