1 hr 20 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
Hot, spicy and tasty. Serve with a dark green salad and more beer! I found this in the Chicago Sun-Times FOOD section, it's originally from the National Beer Wholesalers Association.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 skinless chicken leg quarters
- 2 tablespoons dry jamaican jerk spice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups parboiled rice
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark bock beer
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans or 1 (16 ounce) can pink beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1Coat chicken all over with jerk seasoning.
- 2In a large Dutch oven or other large pan with lid, warm oil over medium heat.
- 3Cook chicken in two batches, turning frequently, until well-browned, about 8-10 minutes per batch.
- 4Remove chicken to plate.
- 5Pour off all but about 2 T. pan oil.
- 6To drippings in pan, add onion, chilies, ginger, garlic and salt.
- 7Cook, stirring 3 to 4 minutes, until onion is lightly browned.
- 8Stir in rice and cook for one additional minute.
- 9Add beer, coconut milk, beans and half of the cilantro.
- 10Return chicken to pot along with any accumulated juices.
- 11Bring chicken mixture to a boil, cover pot; reduce heat to low.
- 12Simmer 30 to 35 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- 13Stir in remaining cilantro and serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.6
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 592.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 13.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
skinless chicken leg quarters
jamaican jerk spice