Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Boniato is a Caribbean sweet potato. This recipe comes from the book “How to Grill, The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques” by Steven Raichlen.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boniato, peeled and cubed in 1/2-inch cubes (Caribbean sweet potato)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated (or more to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Place the boniato in a large pot with cold salted water to cover and slowly bring t a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and gently simmer the boniato until very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the boniato well and return to the pot. Mash with a potato masher or put through a ricer. Do not use a food processor to mash the boniato or it will taste gummy.
- Add the butter and cream and continue mashing to form a creamy puree. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
A rich, simple, mashed potato dish. Boniato oxidizes very quickly when exposed to the air, so be sure to keep any cut edges covered in water.