Recipe by Lizzymommy
A favorite that requires minimal prep, but delivers maximum flavor in a sophisticated dish. Serve over rice, topped with Mango Salsa.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 (16 ounce) cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onions and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes, until the onions begin to soften. Add the ginger, thyme, and allspice and saute, stirring often to prevent sticking, until the onions are very soft, for about 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the beans and orange juice and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly. Use a heat diffuser if necessary to prevent scorching.
- Mash a few of the beans with the back of the spoon for a thicker consistency.
- Season to taste, and serve.