Recipe by CheCheCherie
Easy and flavorful! Excellent side dish for spicy dishes like jerk chicken or Puerco Pibil! Serve with mango salsa for a delicious combination.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Deliciously surprising dish! Who would have thought to combine orange juice with black beans? But, it adds a refreshing element to otherwise bland beans. We really enjoyed this dish and it complimented our meal so well. This is a great dish that would go well with any grilled meats and would be a great potluck side dish as well. Made for Fall PAC, 2012.
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml fresh grated gingerroot
- 4.92 ml fresh thyme or 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 1064.65 ml drained cooked black beans or 3 (1360.77 g) can black beans
- 177.44 ml orange juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil until barely soft.
- Add the spices and sauté until very soft.
- Stir in the beans and orange juice and sauté for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Mash a few of the beans with a fork or the back of a spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Adjust the consistency to your liking by adding orange juice or mashing more beans. You can also blend the beans with additional orange juice to make an excellent bean dip!