1/1 Photo of Caribbean Black Beans
Easy and flavorful! Excellent side dish for spicy dishes like jerk chicken or Puerco Pibil! Serve with mango salsa for a delicious combination.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 1/2 cups drained cooked black beans or 3 (16 ounce) cans black beans
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil until barely soft.
- 2Add the spices and sauté until very soft.
- 3Stir in the beans and orange juice and sauté for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- 4Mash a few of the beans with a fork or the back of a spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Adjust the consistency to your liking by adding orange juice or mashing more beans. You can also blend the beans with additional orange juice to make an excellent bean dip!
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.3
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 14.5 g