Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy and flavorful! Excellent side dish for spicy dishes like jerk chicken or Puerco Pibil! Serve with mango salsa for a delicious combination.
- 1 1⁄2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 1⁄2 cups drained cooked black beans or 3 (16 ounce) cans black beans
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil until barely soft.
- Add the spices and sauté until very soft.
- Stir in the beans and orange juice and sauté for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Mash a few of the beans with a fork or the back of a spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Adjust the consistency to your liking by adding orange juice or mashing more beans. You can also blend the beans with additional orange juice to make an excellent bean dip!
Deliciously surprising dish! Who would have thought to combine orange juice with black beans? But, it adds a refreshing element to otherwise bland beans. We really enjoyed this dish and it complimented our meal so well. This is a great dish that would go well with any grilled meats and would be a great potluck side dish as well. Made for Fall PAC, 2012.