Prep 8 hrs
Cook 8 hrs
A filling easy soup to make...takes a little preparation if you use dried black beans, but worth the effort.
- 453.59 g dried black beans, washed and sorted
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ham hocks or 177.44 ml cubed ham
- 14.79 ml oil
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 14.79 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 709.77 ml water
- 29.58 ml vinegar
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Soak beans overnight in 4 quarts water.
- Combine beans, onion, green pepper, garlic, ham, oil, cumin, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, and 3 cups of fresh water.
- Stir Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
- For thick soup, remove half of cooked bean mixture and puree until smooth in blender or mash with a potato masher.
- Return to cooker.
- If you like it souper, leave it as is.
- Add vinegar and stir well.
- Debone the ham hock if you used one and cut into bite sized pieces, and return to the soup Serve in soup bowls with a dollop of sour cream in the middle of each serving, topped with fresh cilantro.
First time doing black bean soup in a crock pot. Worked great! I added extra cumin as we love it here. Also had more ham than it called for but it turned out perfect. I had to cook it for about 5 1/2 hours to get the beans as tender as I like them. Served it was some pickled onions on top, hubby loved it!
My family loves this. Both my 2-yo and my 4-yo eat bowls FULL of this. We like it best served "chili" style over some brown rice. Thanks for posting this recipe. Oh, and just wanted to add I find the most success when I do the quick soak method for preparing the black beans before putting them in the crock. So, quick soak the beans, put them in the crock, and cook away for 6 hours on high = perfect for us :)
Yes sir, this is a keeper, TRUE! ABSOLUTELY LOVE Black Bean Soup too! Tasty, deliscious...took a while! Mashed it, then ate it with a smile!