Recipe by Ranikabani
This is a recipe that I created by trying different recipes and combining them and changing it every time I make it. You can vary this by not adding any beef at all, or you can add sauteed mushrooms, any variety of peppers (sweet peppers, jalapenos, banana peppers) or any variety of meat. You can also vary the flavour by substituting chicken broth, vegetable broth, or even fish broth. You can add peas or shredded carrot, cilantro for flavour, or any vegetable of your choice. Another thing I sometimes do is to add steamed shrimp to it. As you can see, it's very versatile, so experiment!
- 1⁄3 cup beef, cut in strips,cooked (see directions)
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 small onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green chilies, cut thinly on a diagonal
- 1 (6 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups long grain rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop up the beef in paper thin slices and fry in a small amount of olive oil on high heat only for a couple of minutes until cooked.
- Set aside.
- In a saucepan, pour a little olive oil for frying (about 2 tbsp) and fry the rice until it is translucent and starting to brown.
- Add sliced onions, chopped tomatoes, and sliced green chillies.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add the can of condensed broth, water and salt.
- Cook on high heat until it reaches the boiling point.
- Lower heat to medium/medium-low covered until liquid disappears.