1/3 Photos of Caribbean Beef Barley Soup With Vegetables
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe makes use of the inexpensive beef shank, but you can use another cut of beef, if you like. Oxtail would work nicely. This recipe is made in a pressure cooker, but you could use a Dutch oven on the stove top, or a slow cooker (directions included).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb beef shank
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped fine (I use a food processor)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cloves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups chicken broth (or 2 cups water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes)
- 2 cups beef broth (or 2 cups water and 2 beef bouillon cubes)
- 2 cups water
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup fava beans, peeled and thawed (frozen)
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded (red or green)
- green onion, chopped for garnish
- 1Pressure Cooker: Heat oil, over medium heat, and brown beef shank well on both sides, seasoning with salt and pepper, about 10 minutes; remove and set aside.
- 2Place onions and garlic in the pot and cook until softened, about 10 minutes; do not let brown (turn heat down if needed).
- 3Stir in allspice, cloves, thyme, and red pepper flakes; add wine and de-glaze pan and let evaporate a bit, about 2 minutes.
- 4Return meat and add both broths and water; close pressure cooker and cook until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- 5Release pressure, uncover, add barley and fava beans; cover, cook medium low for 10 minutes.
- 6Release pressure, uncover, add potatoes, carrots, and cabbage; replace cover, cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes more.
- 7Adjust seasoning (salt and pepper) and serve garnished with green onions.
- 8Dutch Oven on Stove Top: Heat oil, over medium heat, in a Dutch oven and brown well on both sides, seasoning with salt and pepper, about 10 minutes; remove and set aside.
- 9Add onions and garlic to the pot and cook until softened, about 10 minutes; do not let onions brown (turn heat down a little, if necessary).
- 10Stir in allspice, cloves, thyme, and red pepper flakes; add wine and de-glaze pan and let mostly evaporate, 2 minutes.
- 11Return meat to pot and add broths and water; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- 12Add fava beans and barley and simmer, covered, medium low until tender, about 30 minutes.
- 13Add potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, simmer, covered 10 to 15 minutes; adjust seasoning (salt and pepper).
- 14Serve garnished with green onions.
- 15Slow Cooker: Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium heat, and brown meat well on both sides, seasoning with salt and pepper, about 10 minutes; place in slow cooker.
- 16Add onions and garlic to skillet, cook until softened, about 10 minutes; do not let onions brown (reduce heat).
- 17Stir in allspice, thyme, and red pepper flakes; de-glaze with wine and let most of the wine evaporate.
- 18Add mixture to slow cooker along with both broths, water, and remaining ingredients, up to, but not including, the green onions.
- 19Cook on low 7 to 9 hours or high 5 to 6 hours; serve garnished with green onions.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Beef Barley Soup With Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.5
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.2 mg
- Sodium 948.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 34.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: