Recipe by BeachGirl
Addictive sweet/hot pecans which are as hot or as mild as you like them, depending upon amount of cayenne used. Although they are slightly sweet, they don't stick to your hands. A well-balance blend of flavors that whets your appetite, but are good for diabetics and other persons trying to lower their carbohydrate intake. Each Tbs. of nuts contains 0.9 grams of carbs, versus double that amount if made with regular sugar. Atkins fans take note!
Top Review by Treenickel
Awesome! I try to keep my eyes open for low carb recipies and this is definitely a keeper. I didn't have any Splenda so I substituted Sugarlike, which is similar to Splenda but Maltitol based
- 1 lb pecan halves or 1 lb pecan pieces (4 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute, for Baking or 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 -3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 -3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute, for baking
Directions See How It's Made
- ***NOTE: "Splenda for Baking" is measured spoon for spoon like sugar, but contains less than 1 carb per tsp. It is not the Splenda in little packets.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place pecans in single layer on baking sheet.
- Roast 15-17 minutes or until lightly golden brown and slightly crunchy.
- In large bowl, add the Dry Coating mix (Splenda)
- Set aside.
- About 5 minutes before pecans are done, in a saucepan add ALL Seasoning Mix ingredients and bring just to boil. It may not seem like enough sauce; however, it should be enough to coat the outside of all the nuts.
- Immediately add hot nuts and stir continuously until all liquid has been absorbed and no liquid remains on bottom on saucepan.
- This will take about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour nuts into Dry Coating mix bowl and stir to coat nuts.
- Pour nuts onto a Silpat silicone mat, parchment or waxed paper, separating nuts.
- Store in air-tight container.
- Would keep for weeks, but they won't last that long.
- VARIATION: Mix these nuts with craisins (or raisins), butterscotch chips, and mini-pretzels for a delicious Bar Mix appetizer.