Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 19 mins
A taste of the Caribbean in your own kitchen! Try this for a tasty treat!
Make and share this Caribbean Banana Treat! recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lemon, zest of, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cups bananas, chunks
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup ground pine nuts (or walnuts, almonds, pecans)
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted and cooled
- boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Oil a 1 1/2 quart mold.
- Combine the lemon and orange zests, lemon and orange juices, ginger, and banana. Set aside.
- Place the eggs, brown sugar and pineapple juice in a food processor and pulse until blended.
- Add the milk and ground nuts and pulse a few more times.
- Spoon the nut mixture over the banana mixture.
- Add the melted margarine and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared mold.
- Place the mold in a large pan, and pour enough boiling water into the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the mold.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 80 minutes.
- (You may have to add boiling water to the pan as the dessert bakes to keep it at the desired level.) Cool 20 to 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
I absolutely love the combination of flavors. The lemon and orange zest and fresh ginger are the perfect foil for the sweetness of the sugar and bananas. I followed the recipe exactly as written. After chilling and unmolding, the the custard like part was very soft and there was a puddle of liquid on the dish. I think more custard and less banana would make this a sensational desert.