Recipe by English_Rose
This fruity, boozy dessert can easily be made on the BBQ once the bananas are wrapped in foil.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Probably should have followed the recipe right on down, but instead I substituted Triple Sec for the dark rum! Not that I was disappointed, mind you, 'cause I wasn't, but I'm sure it changed the intended flavor quite a bit! Still, we had a great dessert, & I now have another keeper of a recipe to file! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement tag]
- 2 tablespoons clear honey
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 firm bananas
- 1 orange
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- Mix the cornstarch into the orange juice
- Place all the ingredients, except the bananas and the whole orange, into a saucepan. Bring gently to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Peel the bananas and carefully make a slit along the length of each. Gently open them out a little.
- Lay each banana on a piece of aluminium foil and cover with a little of the sauce. Reserve the remaining sauce for serving. Seal each banana in the foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Grate the zest of the orange and reserve for decoration. Remove as much pith as possible from the orange and cut into segments. Add to the remaining sauce.
- When the bananas are ready, remove from the foil and place on individual dishes or banana boats. Re-heat the sauce and spoon over the bananas. Sprinkle with the grated orange zest and serve.