Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This fruity, boozy dessert can easily be made on the BBQ once the bananas are wrapped in foil.
- 2 tablespoons clear honey
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 firm bananas
- 1 orange
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- Mix the cornstarch into the orange juice
- Place all the ingredients, except the bananas and the whole orange, into a saucepan. Bring gently to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Peel the bananas and carefully make a slit along the length of each. Gently open them out a little.
- Lay each banana on a piece of aluminium foil and cover with a little of the sauce. Reserve the remaining sauce for serving. Seal each banana in the foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Grate the zest of the orange and reserve for decoration. Remove as much pith as possible from the orange and cut into segments. Add to the remaining sauce.
- When the bananas are ready, remove from the foil and place on individual dishes or banana boats. Re-heat the sauce and spoon over the bananas. Sprinkle with the grated orange zest and serve.
Probably should have followed the recipe right on down, but instead I substituted Triple Sec for the dark rum! Not that I was disappointed, mind you, 'cause I wasn't, but I'm sure it changed the intended flavor quite a bit! Still, we had a great dessert, & I now have another keeper of a recipe to file! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement tag]