Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
1 gram of fat!! and it's amazing. You can also make truffles with the same base recipe. (Carey Neff's Chocolate Truffles) Neff is executive chef at La Costa Resort and Spa. Nutrition info: Calories 70; Protein 2g; Total Fat 1g; Saturated Fat 0.5g; Carbohydrates 16g; Dietary Fiber 2g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 90mg
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or pureed prunes)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Spray a 9-inch square cake pan and dust with additional cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. In another bowl combine the prunes, egg whites, vanilla and coffee. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Pour into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Oh my, this really is delicious! I used 2/3 cup cake flour and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup soft demerara sugar, and 1 whole egg plus one egg white. Overbaked slightly by accident, but the middle bits give me an idea of what the texture would be like had I been paying attention!! Excellent recipe, thank you for sharing!
Very, very good with very few calories - AMAZING! I couldn't really taste the coffee too much, but I love the trick of adding coffee to chocolate things - creates a rich flavor with less calories and no fat. Next time I might go to the coffee stand next door and buy a few shots of espresso to throw in instead of coffee. I had a great time making a powdered sugar stencil, using waxed paper and an exacto knife. My cake was a work of art!!! The only thing I would suggest is do the powdered sugar right before you serve it. I did one layer too early and it soaked into the cake. I did another layer over top and it looked great. Thanks Marra!
A friend of mine lost his job and my boyfriend calls me up and asks, "will you bake him a cake?" and of course I did! I couldn't decide what kind so just basic Cake search and this looked great. Didn't know it had only 70 calories and the guy loved it! I added some orange juice soaked dried cranberries and milk chocolate chips on top. Thanks! :D