1/2 Photos of Carey Neff's Chocolate Truffles
Using his espresso cake as a base, here is a low fat truffle that is still yummy. Nutrition info at the bottom of the directions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pureed prunes or 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coffee
- unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- finely chopped nuts, walnuts, pecans, pistachios (optional)
- finely chopped toasted coconut (optional)
- 2Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Spray a 9-inch square cake pan and dust with additional cocoa powder and set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. In another bowl combine the prunes, egg whites, vanilla and coffee. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Pour into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- 5Allow cake to cool to room temperature. Cut the cake into small cubes and place in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the ricotta cheese and mix to a smooth consistency. Chill the mixture before portioning.
- 6Portion into 1/2-ounce balls and roll in cocoa powder or finely chopped nuts or toasted coconut.
- 7Nutrition info for each topping:.
- 8Per plain truffle or 1 truffle dusted with 1/2 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder:.
- 9Calories 25; Protein 1g; Total Fat 0g; Saturated Fat 0g; Carbohydrates 5g; Dietary Fiber less than 1 gram; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 30mg.
- 10Per 1 truffle rolled in 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped nuts.
- 11Calories 30; Protein 1g; Total Fat 1g; Saturated Fat 0g; Carbohydrates 6g; Dietary Fiber less than 1 gram; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 30mg.
- 12Per 1 truffle rolled in 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped coconut.
- 13Calories 30; Protein 1g; Total Fat 0.5g; Saturated Fat 0g; Carbohydrates 5g; Dietary Fiber less than 1 gram; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 35mg.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carey Neff's Chocolate Truffles
Serving Size: 1 (1004 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 33.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 34.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 0.9 g