Recipe by Chef Qued
This salad dressing was a favorite when I was a child back in the 50's. It was an original from The Tara Restaurant in Saugatuck, Michigan. The place no longer exists but thankfully, we can still partake of this wonderful dressing. Some of us even like it on meat & things like mac & cheese.
Top Review by punkarooni
Every once in a while I have to laugh because I will run across a recipe that the kids love and I am totally shocked. This is one of them. All three of them ate their whole salad and then proceeded to pour dressing on their plates and lick it off! We all loved it and will make it often, Thank you!
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil (not olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 1 small onion, peeled & scored
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a quart jar or covered pitcher; shake vigorously or mix with handheld stick-mixer.
- Add garlic clove & whole onion. Leave garlic & onion in dressing container.
- Let stand at least 8—12 hours before serving.
- This dressing will keep in refrigerator for 2—3 weeks.
- NOTE: Since trying to cut back on fats, I sometimes use only 1/2C of oil and it is still great.