Recipe by Geema
These cookies are for HeyJude who has turned me on to cardamom and taught me how to store it in the freezer.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
These are WONDERFUL! This made 24 cookies for me. I made these today for Gandhi Jayanti(the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of my nation, India). I did substitute the butter with margarine. I omitted the lemon rind and nuts. Most important of all, I doubled the quantity of ground cinnamon in steps 1 and 3. These cookies went very well in my house. Dad said they should be a regular;-) Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, toasted, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon cardamom and powdered sugar in medium bowl.
- Set mixture aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom, butter, vanilla extract, lemon peel and salt in another large bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat at medium-high speed until well blended.
- Add flour and chopped nuts.
- Beat until dough forms, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Gather dough into a ball and wrap in plastic, chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using hands and generous 1 tablespoon dough for each cookie, roll dough into 48 3/4-inch balls; transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake cookies until golden, about 25 minutes.
- Sift powdered sugar and cardamom mixture over warm cookies, turn to coat well.
- Can be made 3 days ahead. Store in airtight container.