These are great with some coffee!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (105 f)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 active dry yeast (1/4 ounce, 5 tablespoons total)
- 3 large eggs (beaten lightly)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder (powdered)
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cardamom seeds (ground in a mortar with a pestle or in an electric spice or coffee grinder)
- 1 large egg (wash made by beating, with 2 tablespoons water)
- 1In a large bowl combine water, butter, and sugar. Sprinkle yeast over mixture and let stand 5 minutes, or until foamy. Stir in eggs, salt and dry milk until combined. With a wooden spoon stir in 5 sups flour, 1 cup at a time, and stir mixture until a dough is formed.
- 2On a floured surface, knead dough about 10 minutes, adding enough of the remaining 1 cup flour to make dough smooth and elastic. Put dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat, and let rise, covered with plastic wrap, in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 3Punch down dough and on floured surface with a floured rolling pin roll into a 15- by 20-inch rectangle. Spread butter over dough and sprinkle with granulated sugar, cinnamon and cardamom.
- 4With a long side facing you, roll up dough jelly-roll fashion and cut crosswise into approximately 1 1/2-inch-thick slices with a cut side down. Working with 1 slice at a time gently twist opposite ends of slice around twice to form a figure eight. Crimp ends together. Arrange rolls, a swirled side up, on a buttered baking sheet about 2 inches apart and let rise in a warm place until increased 1 1/2 times in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 5While rolls are rising, preheat oven to 350°F.
- 6Brush tops of rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake rolls in middle of oven until tops are pale golden, about 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cardamom Sweet Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.8
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 70.3 mg
- Sodium 268.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 9.5 g