Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are great with some coffee!
Make and share this Cardamom Sweet Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water (105 f)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 active dry yeast (1/4 ounce, 5 tablespoons total)
- 3 large eggs (beaten lightly)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder (powdered)
- 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cardamom seeds (ground in a mortar with a pestle or in an electric spice or coffee grinder)
- 1 large egg (wash made by beating, with 2 tablespoons water)
- In a large bowl combine water, butter, and sugar. Sprinkle yeast over mixture and let stand 5 minutes, or until foamy. Stir in eggs, salt and dry milk until combined. With a wooden spoon stir in 5 sups flour, 1 cup at a time, and stir mixture until a dough is formed.
- On a floured surface, knead dough about 10 minutes, adding enough of the remaining 1 cup flour to make dough smooth and elastic. Put dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat, and let rise, covered with plastic wrap, in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and on floured surface with a floured rolling pin roll into a 15- by 20-inch rectangle. Spread butter over dough and sprinkle with granulated sugar, cinnamon and cardamom.
- With a long side facing you, roll up dough jelly-roll fashion and cut crosswise into approximately 1 1/2-inch-thick slices with a cut side down. Working with 1 slice at a time gently twist opposite ends of slice around twice to form a figure eight. Crimp ends together. Arrange rolls, a swirled side up, on a buttered baking sheet about 2 inches apart and let rise in a warm place until increased 1 1/2 times in bulk, about 1 hour.
- While rolls are rising, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush tops of rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake rolls in middle of oven until tops are pale golden, about 25 minutes.