Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Great taste of cardamom. Source : Sugar at Food Network
Make and share this Cardamom Sugar Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Beat butter and sugar together by hand or in a mixer, until pale and fluffy. Blend in egg and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cardamom and salt. Stir into butter mixture until just combined. Gather dough together, shape into 2 discs, wrap and chill until firm, about 1 to 2 hours, or freeze until ready to use (then thaw overnight in fridge).
- Preheat oven to 325°F On a lightly floured work surface, roll out first disc of dough to just less than ¼-inch thick. Cut out desired shapes and lift with a spatula onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll second disc, saving all scraps to re-roll for more cut-outs. If you choose, add sprinkles or other decorations onto cookies before baking. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until edges of cookies just begin to brown. Let cool before removing from tray.
- Cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Glaze :.
- For glaze, combine icing sugar and milk and whisk until smooth. Brush cookies with glaze and allow to dry on cooling rack for 1 hour.
I love cardamom. It's especially good in desserts and cookies. I think it's my favorite spice, anyway, these cookies are so awesome! I found the rolling out process pretty easy after being in the fridge overnight. I just dusted them lightly with flour and proceeded to use my circular cut out to make them. I have a friend who is sick right now, so I wanted to make something that might put a smile on her face. These sure did!!! Very nice flavor, and is now a favorite! I had to give them all to her so I wouldn't completely blow my eating plan :) Thank you for sharing it with us Boomie! Linda
Reviewed for Recipe Swap August 2011 in the Aus/NZ FOrum. These were an easy cookie to make and received 5 stars from all of my wheat eating family. We cut ours using a butterfly cutter and they did look very pretty glazed. The cardamom and nutmeg smelt wonderful while the cookies were baking. I added the nutmeg with the cardamom as it was left out from the directions. Photos also being posted
These are incredible cookies Boomette. I made these for a 10 year old boys birthday, they were enjoyed by all. We love these quick and easy to make cookies the subtle flavor of the cardamom and the crispiness of the cookies. Thank you so much for sharing, I will be making these again often.