Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Food & Wine, December 2007
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Position a rack in the center of the oven. Butter a 9-by-13-inch metal baking pan.
- Make the crumb topping: Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 8 minutes, until browned. Let cool, then coarsely chop the nuts.
- In a medium bowl, stir the melted butter with both sugars, the cardamom and salt.
- Add the flour and stir until clumpy.
- Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Make the cake: In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, melted butter and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking pan, smoothing the surface.
- Scatter the crumbs in large clumps over the cake; the crumb layer will be quite deep.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, until the crumbs are golden and firm and a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. If the crumbs brown before the cake is done, cover the cake loosely with foil.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Make the glaze: In a bowl, whisk all of the glaze ingredients together. Drizzle the glaze over the cake; let cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- The cake can be kept covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.