Recipe by Joe Germuska
From a Minneapolis Star-Tribune page, http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/taste/11402976.html I believe these were some kind of winner in some kind of contest.
- 236.59 ml butter, at room temperature
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml light brown sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml flour
- 9.85 ml ground cardamom
- 1.23 ml salt
- 78.07 ml chopped nuts
- 22.18 ml butter, melted
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar
- milk, as needed
- candied fruit, if desired, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. In a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until thoroughly combined. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cardamom and salt. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture to butter mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Spread dough into an ungreased 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Brush egg white over dough, sprinkle evenly with chopped nuts and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make icing: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat melted butter and vanilla into powdered sugar. Add milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until icing reaches drizzling consistency. Spread icing over slightly warm bars. Allow icing to set and cut bars into cookies while bars are still slightly warm. Decorate with candied fruit, if desired.