From "Biscuits to Scones" by Elizabeth Alston. She recommends cutting prunes with oiled knife or kitchen shears. Posted here for safekeeping.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Put flour, soda, powder, salt and cardamom into large bowl, mix well.
- In another bowl, beat together sour cream, egg, lemon peel and sugar.
- Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add prunes to flour/butter and toss to distribute evenly.
- Add sour cream mixture and stir with a spoon until a sticky dough forms.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls of dough 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool, loosely covered with a dish towel, on a wire rack.