Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "Biscuits to Scones" by Elizabeth Alston. She recommends cutting prunes with oiled knife or kitchen shears. Posted here for safekeeping.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Put flour, soda, powder, salt and cardamom into large bowl, mix well.
- In another bowl, beat together sour cream, egg, lemon peel and sugar.
- Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add prunes to flour/butter and toss to distribute evenly.
- Add sour cream mixture and stir with a spoon until a sticky dough forms.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls of dough 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool, loosely covered with a dish towel, on a wire rack.
These scones are wonderful! Just barely sweet, and the lemon zest really shines through. Because the dough is sticky, the scones bake into beautifully craggy mounds with lots of crispy spots all over the top. The inside is soft and light, like a baking powder biscuit. What an excellent recipe -- thanks for posting!!