Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Traditional European Christmas cookie. Eat-em-by-the-handful. Bagged attractively they make nice gifts. But be sure to make enough for the family. They keep well in a cool place. Make an ice-cream bucketful of each kind, and you can enjoy them well into February.
- Cream butter and sugar. Stir in vanilla or lemon juice.
- Sift together flour, cream of tartar, and cardamom.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, stirring well.
- Roll dough into snakes about the diameter of a dime, and freeze snakes on wax paper (They can remain in the freezer for several days, and you can bake cookies in batches when you have time.).
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350.
- Take one or two snakes out of the freezer at a time, and cut into 1/4-inch sections.
- Arrange on greased cookie sheet, and bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly brown.
- Cool and store in airtight container in a cool place.