1/2 Photos of Cardamom Mashed Sweet Potatoes
What you see is what you get but the cardamom is a nice surprise. The recipe is from the World Food Cafe in London (UK). They offer a sweet pepper relish with it but I'd prefer thinly sliced sweet peppers in a sweet sour vinaigrette. For vegetarians this is fine as a main dish but I can see this as a nice side dish for roast lamb or even chicken. I have altered the recipe slightly to my taste and if you want to go vegan use vegetable oil instead of butter. I find adding the honey too sweet but taste and decide. Also, I prefer white pepper in combination with cardamom. It's your call. Do not use canned peas. That would be horrible. Apparently the recipe originated in Tanzania on a visit to a game reserve. The cook was creatively catering to a vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the potatoes until tender.
- 3Cook the corn briefly (also peas if using) by steaming no more than 3 minutes.
- 4Add the spinach in the last minute or so.
- 5Drain water and remove from heat.
- 6Melt the butter and saute the onions slowly until caramelized.
- 7Mash the potato and season with cardamom, salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Stir in the onions.
- 9Then add the other vegetables and honey (if using).
- 10You may also add more butter (if your lover will let you).
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cardamom Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.1
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 217.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 7.5 g