Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
What you see is what you get but the cardamom is a nice surprise. The recipe is from the World Food Cafe in London (UK). They offer a sweet pepper relish with it but I'd prefer thinly sliced sweet peppers in a sweet sour vinaigrette. For vegetarians this is fine as a main dish but I can see this as a nice side dish for roast lamb or even chicken. I have altered the recipe slightly to my taste and if you want to go vegan use vegetable oil instead of butter. I find adding the honey too sweet but taste and decide. Also, I prefer white pepper in combination with cardamom. It's your call. Do not use canned peas. That would be horrible. Apparently the recipe originated in Tanzania on a visit to a game reserve. The cook was creatively catering to a vegetarian.
- Boil the potatoes until tender.
- Cook the corn briefly (also peas if using) by steaming no more than 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach in the last minute or so.
- Drain water and remove from heat.
- Melt the butter and saute the onions slowly until caramelized.
- Mash the potato and season with cardamom, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the onions.
- Then add the other vegetables and honey (if using).
- You may also add more butter (if your lover will let you).
For taste and presentation I would give this 5 stars plus but the spinach amount is too vague-1 bunch really doesn't tell me how much because there are all different "bunch" sizes. I used just over 2 cups of fresh spinach chopped. Perhaps a bit more cardamon . We loved the dish - It is attractive, tasty and so healthy. I didn't use any butter just No oil spray. Thanks for a lovely vegetable dish that will brighten any meal