Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This Sri Lankan recipe is from the City Times newspaper. I love the burst of fresh cardamom flavour in this...simply creates wonders on the tongue!!
- 500 g long-grain basmati rice, soaked in water and drained
- 50 g peas
- 50 g carrots, cut in small pieces
- 100 g corn kernels
- 50 g beans, cut into 1 1/2 cm pieces
- 4 tablespoons ghee or 4 tablespoons oil
- 4 cardamoms
- 3 -5 curry leaves
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 50 g boiled beetroots, cut into small pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat ghee/oil in a pot.
- Put rampe, cardamoms and curry leaves in it.
- Once these are fried and the aroma of cardamoms is wafting through your kitchen, add the drained rice, 5 cups of water, the cube of vegetable stock and salt.
- You may omit salt if you wish- it's a personal preference, really, because in my opinion, the stock cube already contains sufficent salt.
- Cook till the rice is boiled.
- Add remaining ingredients, except beetroot, and cook on low flame till the rice is completely cooked alongwith the veggies.
- Remove from flame once it's ready.
- Garnish with beetroot and serve hot.