Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
We love the taste of cardamom. If you like cardamom you will like these cookies. The recipe comes from Sunset Magazine. Chill time is 1 hr not included in prep time.
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until smooth.
- add molasses and beat until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, soda, cardamom, and cinnamon, Stir or beat into butter mixture until well blended.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill until dough is firm, about 1 hour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- With lightly floured hands, roll into a rope about 2 1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch thick; bend rope into a horseshoe.
- Place cookies about 2 inches apart on parchment lined or buttered 12 x 15-inch baking sheets.
- Bake cookies in a 350° oven just until edges begin to brown, 7-9 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on pan 5 minutes, then use spatula to transfer to rack to cool completely.
These cookies are so so delicious!!! I used honey as a substitute for molasses and made these as soon as I saw them. Also, I tossed in 3/4 cup of chopped pecans in this! I love green cardamom and the taste of the same in these is out of the world! Soooo gooooood!!!! Thanks a million for such a nice treat!
First time I tried cardamom in my baking and I must say I really enjoyed these cookies. They are great with a cup of tea. They are on my must bake cookie list from now on!
I baked these cookies last night and the whole family loves them. Th only change I made was I used margarine instead of butter.