Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
The browned butter frosting on these bars is yummy!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄3 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream together the butter and sugars.
- Beat in the egg yolk and extract.
- Beat in flour, salt and cardamom; blend well.
- Spread dough in a 10x15"pan.
- Brush surface with slightly beaten egg white.
- Sprinkle nuts over top.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour.
- Cool completely and then frost.
- Melt the butter in a skillet until it browns.
- Remove from heat and beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Add enough milk to thin enough to drizzle over pan of baked cookes.
- Cut cookies into squares.
I used pecans on top and they taste amazing! They are a bit sticky.. I used about half a cup of milk for the icing and that was to much so next time i'll try 1/4 c. and go from there. I will definitely make these again, might use a little less powdered sugar for the icing as well. The cookie itself is perfect but the pan measurement is definitely off. I used a 13x9x2 and even that took a few minutes to spread it out without any thin spots. Also the prep time takes a lot longer to properly soften the butter and separate the egg/ cover the egg white so the skin doesnt develop. little things here and there add up.
A very rich and wonderful tasting cookie. Thank you for a nice recipe!