4 hrs 30 mins
I make this coffee cake every year for Christmas. It reminds me of the coffee cakes my great grandma used to buy every year at christmastime. The bakery that makes them won't ship them to me so I have to make them myself now.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scald milk and cool to lukewarm. Crumble yeast into bowl, add 1 tsp sugar and lukewarm milk.
- 2Beat in 3 cups flour until smooth. Cover well and let rise until light and double in bulk (1-1 1/2 hrs).
- 3Add soft butter, remaining sugar, salt, egg yolks, cardamom, and 3 cups of flour. Mix thoroughly.
- 4Place remaining 1/4 cup flour on board or pastry cloth for kneading. turn out dough and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, cover well, and set aside to rise until double in bulk (1-1 1/2 hrs).
- 5Cut risen dough in half for two coffee cakes (braids). Cut each half into 3 pieces and roll each piece into 16 inch long rope.
- 6Pinch 3 ropes together at one end, braid and pinch other ends together. Place braid on cookie sheet.
- 7Make second braid and place on cookie sheet.
- 8Cover and let rise until double in bulk. (about 45 minutes).
- 9For topping, brush each braid with 1 Tbsp of milk and sprinkle with 3 Tbsp sugar.
- 10Bake in 375F oven or 25-30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cardamom Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.0
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 72.1 mg
- Sodium 122.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 8.6 g