Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I make this coffee cake every year for Christmas. It reminds me of the coffee cakes my great grandma used to buy every year at christmastime. The bakery that makes them won't ship them to me so I have to make them myself now.
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (5/8 ounce) package cake yeast
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 6 tablespoons sugar (for topping)
- 2 tablespoons milk (for topping)
- Scald milk and cool to lukewarm. Crumble yeast into bowl, add 1 tsp sugar and lukewarm milk.
- Beat in 3 cups flour until smooth. Cover well and let rise until light and double in bulk (1-1 1/2 hrs).
- Add soft butter, remaining sugar, salt, egg yolks, cardamom, and 3 cups of flour. Mix thoroughly.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup flour on board or pastry cloth for kneading. turn out dough and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, cover well, and set aside to rise until double in bulk (1-1 1/2 hrs).
- Cut risen dough in half for two coffee cakes (braids). Cut each half into 3 pieces and roll each piece into 16 inch long rope.
- Pinch 3 ropes together at one end, braid and pinch other ends together. Place braid on cookie sheet.
- Make second braid and place on cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise until double in bulk. (about 45 minutes).
- For topping, brush each braid with 1 Tbsp of milk and sprinkle with 3 Tbsp sugar.
- Bake in 375F oven or 25-30 minutes.