1 hr 20 mins
In response to a recent thread asking for cardamom recipes, I am posting this wonderful coffee cake created by Canadian chef Christine Cushing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1To make the topping: Mix together the almonds, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cardamom and melted butter with a fork until crumbly.
- 2To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3Sift together 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and baking soda and set aside.
- 4Cream together the softened butter and 1 cup brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- 5Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well between additions.
- 6Beat in the vanilla.
- 7Add the dry ingredients in thirds to the creamed mixture, alternating with the sour cream, beating in between additions and ending with dry ingredients.
- 8Scrape down the sides and beat for 1 more minute.
- 9Grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform pan.
- 10Pour half of the batter into the pan and sprinkle with half of the almond mixture.
- 11Pour the remaining batter into the pan, spreading it out if necessary.
- 12Top with the remaining almond mixture.
- 13Bake for 50 to 60 minutes on the middle rack.
- 14The cake is done when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 15Leave the cake in the pan and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- 16Remove from the pan and cool completely.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cardamom Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.9
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 110.3 mg
- Sodium 291.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 6.5 g