Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A great spiced Indain rice dish to serve with a curry dish. Serves 4 - 6. In addition to the cooking time the rice needs to soften for one hour before cooking
- 500 g basmati rice
- 78.07 ml sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick, bruised
- 6 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 4.92 ml cumin seed
- 118.29 ml pistachios, kernels
- 78.07 ml raisins
- 946.36 ml water
- 4.92 ml salt
- 78.07 ml shredded coconut
- Rinse the rice, until the water runs clear. Place the rice in a bowl and cover with cold water. Set the rice aside for one hour to soak. Drain the rice.
- Heat half of the oil in a saucepan using a high heat. Add the onion. Stir and cook the onion for about ten minutes, until crisp. Remove the onion and drain on paper kitchen towel.
- Heat the remaining oil over a low heat. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and cumin seeds. Cook for about 30 seconds to release the aromatics.
- Add the rice, pistachios and raisins to the spices. Cook for about a minute. Everything should be coated and glossy from the oil.
- Add the water and salt. Bring to the boil using a high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Cover the saucepan with 2 thicknesses of aluminum foil and cover tightly with a lid.Continue to cook for about another 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Separate the rice grains using a fork.
- Meanwhile -- place the coconut in a frying pan over a medium heat. Stir and toast the coconut for 1 to 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn the coconut.
- Place the rice in a serving bowl. Top with the fried onions and toasted coconut. Serve.
This was delicious and enjoyed by all of my family. The flavour of the spices was lovely. I used cashews in place of the pistachio's as I couldn't find any when I went shopping for ingredients. The cashews were too soft to notice. I will definitely make this again and use pistachio's next time. ;o)
This was fabulous ~ everybody loved it! Thanks, Jubes! Made for the 6/07 Aussie Swap.
Really delicious, have made similar before but the pistachios and toasted coconut take it to another level. This will be a real keeper for me Thank you Jubes.