1/4 Photos of Cardamom & Coconut Pilau
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A great spiced Indain rice dish to serve with a curry dish. Serves 4 - 6. In addition to the cooking time the rice needs to soften for one hour before cooking
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse the rice, until the water runs clear. Place the rice in a bowl and cover with cold water. Set the rice aside for one hour to soak. Drain the rice.
- 2Heat half of the oil in a saucepan using a high heat. Add the onion. Stir and cook the onion for about ten minutes, until crisp. Remove the onion and drain on paper kitchen towel.
- 3Heat the remaining oil over a low heat. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and cumin seeds. Cook for about 30 seconds to release the aromatics.
- 4Add the rice, pistachios and raisins to the spices. Cook for about a minute. Everything should be coated and glossy from the oil.
- 5Add the water and salt. Bring to the boil using a high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes.
- 6Reduce the heat to low. Cover the saucepan with 2 thicknesses of aluminum foil and cover tightly with a lid.Continue to cook for about another 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Separate the rice grains using a fork.
- 7Meanwhile -- place the coconut in a frying pan over a medium heat. Stir and toast the coconut for 1 to 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn the coconut.
- 8Place the rice in a serving bowl. Top with the fried onions and toasted coconut. Serve.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cardamom & Coconut Pilau
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 801.1
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 621.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 14.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods