Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
From cook book "The food from the world"
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken pieces
- 25 cardamom pods
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cm piece gingerroot, grated
- 300 ml thick natural yoghurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons oil
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 6 green chilies, pricked all over
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and crushed them in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar.
- In a blender, mix the garlic and ginger with enough of the yoghurt to make a paste, or if you prefer, mix them with a spoon.
- Add the cardamom, pepper and grated lemon rind.
- Spread this over the chicken pieces, cover, and leave in the fridge over the night.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a karhai or heavy-based frying pan over low heat and brown the chicken pieces all over.
- Add the remaining yoghurt and coconut milk to the pan, bring to the boil, then add the whole chillies and the coriander leaves.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked though. Season with salt, to taste, and stir in the lemon juice.