Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Another cookie for your Christmas cookie tray.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup turbinado sugar (natural raw sugar, large crystal)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 -4 tablespoons ground cardamom or 2 -3 tablespoons freshly ground cardamom seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (about 1 large lemon, optional, optional) (optional) or 1 tablespoon orange zest, freshly grated (about 1 small orange) (optional)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice or 2 -3 tablespoons orange juice or 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice, at room temperature
- additional sanding colored crystal sugar, for decorating (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine butter and sugar; cream together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Add flour, cardamom, salt and zest blend until dough comes is evenly mixed.
- Adjust cardamom to taste.
- Divide dough in four balls on sheets of plastic wrap, and flatten each into a disk.
- Wrap tightly, and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper or butter them.
- Take 1 ball of dough from refrigerator. (Keep remaining dough chilled.).
- On a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough out to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut into shapes and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until bottoms just begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Continue to roll, cut and bake remaining dough.
- For the icing, combine butter, sugar, salt and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Beat at low speed, gradually adding juice to reach desired consistency.
- Decorate completely cooled cookies as desired.