Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
From Sons of Norway, so these are authentic and sound delicious. I will try them this week. Posted for ZWT 9.
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 7 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter, for brushing over baked rolls
- Scald milk. Add butter and shortening to melt. Let cool.
- Soften yeast in the warm water, with 1 T sugar. Let sit 5 minute.
- In lg bowl, add sugar, salt and cardamom.
- Pour in milk.
- Pour in yeast.
- Add enough of the flour to make a stiff dough.
- Knead for 5-8 minutes.
- Place dough in greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down dough and form into Ping-Pong sized balls.
- Place balls 1" apart on greased baking sheet.
- Cover with tea towel and let rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Bake for 5 minutes (that's all!).
- Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
These were delicious! Although they weren't done after 5 minutes :) I really liked the cardamom, and my picky eater loved them as well. For ZWT family picks