Prep 50 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderfull, rich custard with a silky texture. Perfect for the holidays. Begin preparing it a day ahead as it must be chilled overnight. From Bon Appétit. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup whole almond, toasted, finely chopped (about 4 ounces)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 large egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Combine half and half, sugar and honey in medium saucepan.
- Bring to simmer.
- Remove from heat; stir in chopped almonds and ground cardamom.
- Cover and let steep 30 minutes.
- Strain through fine sieve; discard solids in sieve.
- Whisk egg yolks in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in half and half mixture.
- Place six 3/4-cup custard cups or soufflé dishes in roasting pan.
- Divide custard mixture among custard cups. Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cups.
- Bake custards until set around edges and center moves only slightly when cups are gently shaken, about 45 minutes.
- Remove custards from water. Cool.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.).