Recipe by flamingo-tango
by Rachael Ray
Top Review by KatKerz
You can never go wrong with Rachael Ray! This will be my carbonara recipe from now on. I even used whole wheat pasta & turkey bacon. As I was cooking it , I thought I may have "healthed" it up too much, but it still tasted decadent! I had to stop my husband from having a third helping so that we could have more tomorrow.
- 1 lb spaghetti or 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (enough to coat bottom of pan)
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, chopped (Italian bacon)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 -6 cloves garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 large egg yolks
- romano cheese, freshly grated
- fresh parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- boil pasta.
- heat large skillet. add olive oil and pancetta. brown pancetta 2 minutes. add red pepper flakes and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more. add wine and stir up all the pan drippings.
- in a separate bowl, beat yolks, then add about 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. this tempers the eggs and keeps them from scrambling when added to the pasta.
- drain pasta well and add it directly to the skillet with pancetta and oil. pour the egg mixture over the pasta. toss rapidly to coat the pasta without cooking the egg. remove pan from heat and add a big handful of cheese, lots of pepper, and a little salt. continue to toss and turn the pasta until it soaks up egg mixture and thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. garnish with parsley and extra grated romano.