Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
by Rachael Ray
Make and share this Carbonara - Rachael Ray recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb spaghetti or 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (enough to coat bottom of pan)
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, chopped (Italian bacon)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 -6 cloves garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 large egg yolks
- romano cheese, freshly grated
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- boil pasta.
- heat large skillet. add olive oil and pancetta. brown pancetta 2 minutes. add red pepper flakes and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more. add wine and stir up all the pan drippings.
- in a separate bowl, beat yolks, then add about 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. this tempers the eggs and keeps them from scrambling when added to the pasta.
- drain pasta well and add it directly to the skillet with pancetta and oil. pour the egg mixture over the pasta. toss rapidly to coat the pasta without cooking the egg. remove pan from heat and add a big handful of cheese, lots of pepper, and a little salt. continue to toss and turn the pasta until it soaks up egg mixture and thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. garnish with parsley and extra grated romano.
You can never go wrong with Rachael Ray! This will be my carbonara recipe from now on. I even used whole wheat pasta & turkey bacon. As I was cooking it , I thought I may have "healthed" it up too much, but it still tasted decadent! I had to stop my husband from having a third helping so that we could have more tomorrow.
My husband loves Pasta Carbonara so I tried this recipe because it was very traditional - he doesn't believe in adding any "extras" to the pasta. It's such a fast, easy and great recipe. I use regular bacon rather than Pancetta (just because that's what I have at home), 3 egg yolks rather than 2, and Parmesan cheese, and it turns out fabulously. I'm adding it to my regular rotation.
Was looking for a quick pasta dish - using what I had on hand. I would have just done italian tomatoes with feta - but my kids don't like that! I made this - very easy!! I subbed regular bacon (the microwave kind) I just chopped it and sauteed in olive oil (about 2 TBS instead of 1/4 cup) with the garlic cloves. Used 2 whole eggs instead of the yolks only -whisked with the cooking water. I used slightly more white wine and I reserved some of the cooking water to add at the end as well. I did have to add quite a bit of salt b/c I didn't salt my water - and my bacon wasn't super salty. I used freshly ground black pepper instead of red pepper flakes. I also added about a cup of frozen peas to the spaghetti right at the end of cooking. I only had fresh grated parmesan - so used that instead of romano. Super easy weeknight meal - LOVED that it had no cream!!!!