1 hr 20 mins
This is a recipe I got off the about.com Italian food guide, I think. The note at the top of the recipe claims it is from Ricette di Osterie e Ristoranti della Valle D'Aosta. Serve with polenta, boiled potatoes, potato gnocchi or simply some egg noodles. The spice measurments are a guess. The recipe called for a "pinch" of this or that. Use your best judgement, I put 1/8 tsp because I found a website that suggested a pinch = 1/8 tsp. I think I use a little more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Toss the beef with some flour to lightly coat.
- 2Brown the pieces in the butter, fishing them out of the pot with a slotted spoon and setting them aside as they're done.
- 3Slice the onions into rounds and brown them in the same pot, add a ladle of broth (I would guess about 1/2 cup) and scrape the bottom of the pot and simmer until the broth has evaporated.
- 4Add the meat and the spices, salt and sugar if you like. Then add the wine, bring it all to a boil, reduce the heat to a slow simmer, and cook covered, adding more broth as necessary to keep it from drying out for about an hour.
- 5When it is done cooking, dust with a grinding of pepper and serve.
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carbonade
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.9
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 164.3 mg
- Sodium 150.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 47.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: