1/1 Photo of Carbonada Criolla - Argentina Meat, Veg, Fruit Stew
1 hr 5 mins
Beef is the national dish of Argentina. There are huge cattle ranches in Argentina, and the gaucho, or Argentine cowboy, is a well-known symbol of Argentine individualism. Many dishes contain meat, but prepared in different ways. Carbonada is a stew that contains meat, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and chunks of corn on the cob, plus fruit. From FoodinArgentina.com.
My Private Note
cup ser ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 tomatoes, large, coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 potatoes, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 3 sweet potatoes, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 ears corn, cut into 1-inch widths (or use 2 cups of frozen corn)
- 2 zucchini, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 peaches, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 pears, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1Heat oil in heavy pot.
- 2Brown beef in separate batches so that all of it gets cooked. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- 3In that same pot, cook tomatoes, pepper, onion, and garlic until soft.
- 4Add bay leaves, oregano, and chicken stock, and bring to a boil.
- 5Return beef to the pot, and add potatoes and sweet potatoes. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until potatoes are almost soft.
- 6Stir in zucchini and corn. Simmer 10 more minutes, or until vegetables are almost soft, then add the peaches and pears.
- 7Cook 5 more minutes.
- 8Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carbonada Criolla - Argentina Meat, Veg, Fruit Stew
Serving Size: 1 (576 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.9
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 99.1 mg
- Sodium 289.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 42.2 g