Recipe by Cooking to Perfection
This is a very, very delicious stew. With many ingredients simmered together, this stew has wonderful flavors that all compliment each other very well. This stew is very good served alone, or it can be accompanied by a steamed vegetable and bread. This is a perfect winter dish that simmers all day long and fills the kitchen with a wonderful aroma that makes everyone ask when dinner will be ready.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless beef roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb boneless pork, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ears corn, cut into 1 inch slices (optional)
- 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (roughly 2 cups)
- 12 ounces dried peaches, halved
- 12 ounces frozen sliced yellow squash
- 1 cooking apple, peeled,cored,and cubed
- 1⁄4 cup seedless raisin
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter and oil in heavy casserole or Dutch oven.
- Lightly roll meat cubes in flour; place in casserole and brown on all sides.
- Remove meat; add onions to casserole and sauté until golden.
- Return meat to casserole; add wine, beef broth, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently until meat is quite tender, roughly 45 minutes.
- Add corn, potatoes, and dried fruit, and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Add frozen squash, apple, and raisins, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with parsley.