Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Attention Low-Carbers! This beautiful and delicious fancy chicken breast dish is for YOU!! I was checking out some low-carb recipes when the old Poopie Head Doctor told me he wanted me to get on the Atkins diet. Well, that diet plan with all it's eliminations did not suit me at all. I did find some recipes I liked, though. I altered this one a bit and served it up. My guest thought it was good and I do too! It does take a bit of work, but the chicken can be stuffed and refrigerated up to one day before.
- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 -4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Pulse the bread in a food processor until crumbs form. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake 4-6 minutes at 350 degrees, stirring once. Cool and mix in parsley. Set aside.
- Heat an oven-proof skillet over med-high heat and cook bacon, mushrooms, and onion until the liquid has evaporated and mixture is lightly browned, Place in a bowl and cool slightly. Stir in cheese.
- Slice a 3-4 inch slit lengthwise in the thick side of the chicken breasts forming a pocket. Divide the mushroom mixture equally between the 4 chicken breasts, using about 1/2 cup each. Press the pocket closed as best you can.
- Mix the flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Roll the chicken in the flour, then dip in the egg, then roll in the bread crumb/parsley mixture. The bread crumb mixture will not coat the breasts totally.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the oil in the skillet and fry the chicken breasts three minutes on each side to set and brown the crust. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven approximately 20 minutes or until the chicken is done.