Prep 2 hrs
Cook 59 mins
- 2 1⁄4 cups hot water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 packages yeast
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup caraway seed
- 2 cups flour
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups medium rye flour
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 9 by 5-Inch loaf pan.
- Put the butter, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and pour the water over the top.
- Stir to blend and let stand until luke warm.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture, stir, and let stand a minute or so to dissolve.
- Sift the cocoa and combine it with the caraway seeds and flour.
- Add to the yeast mixture and beat vigorously for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Continue beating as you add the rye flour, until you have a stiff heavy batter, that is not thick enough to hold it's shape outside the bowl.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan, smooth the top with your wet fingers,then cover and let rise to top of the pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.