1/2 Photos of Caraway Rye Bread
I don't know how authentic this recipe is but I do know it is delicious. You can make it free form on baking sheets but I use loaf pans because it's easier for me to bag it up and freeze.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat water and coffee in microwave to 110 degrees; pour into large mixing bowl.
- 2Add sugar, molasses, caraway seeds, and yeast and stir to dissolve yeast.
- 3Let sit for a few minutes for yeast to proof.
- 4Stir in oil, salt, and rye flour.
- 5Add 2 cups of bread flour and beat for 2 minutes.
- 6Stir in enough remaining flour to make stiff dough and knead for about 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic (dough will be heavier than plain white bread dough).
- 7Place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat all sides of dough; cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- 8Punch down and shape into 3 loaves.
- 9Place in greased non-stick loaf pans (dark pans help the bottoms brown properly) and let rise until doubled in size.
- 10Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- 11Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caraway Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1534 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1158.0
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1568.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 228.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.0 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 30.4 g