Prep 2 hrs 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Mix yeast in warm water in large bowl until thoroughly dissolved.
- Add sugar, salt, orange peel, caraway seed, and buttermilk, mix well.
- Mix in all bran cereal and rye flour.
- Slowly stir in in all-purpose flour, save a small amount of flour to knead with.
- Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Put dough in a greased bowl (turn once to grease top of dough).
- Cover and let dough rise in warm place until double (approx 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch dough, knead slightly and form a smooth round ball.
- Place on greased baking sheet, flatten slightly and cut a large X on the top using a sharp knife.
- Cover and raise until double (approx 45 minutes).
- Brush bread with milk.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool bread on wire rack.