Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I found this recipe in A Taste of Home.
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into large chunks (I use baby carrots, 1 lb bag)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides over medium high heat; drain.
- Combine the onions, carrots, cider, caraway seeds, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper; pour over roast. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and vegetables; keep warm.
- Strain pan juices into a 2-cup measuring cup. Skim fat; add enough water to measure 2 cups. Return to Dutch oven.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the sour cream and remaining salt and pepper. Serve gravy with roast and vegetables.