Recipe by Megohm
You know how good a sandwich tastes, any sandwich at all, but particularly a roast beef sandwich on rye, with caraway? That’s what’s going on in this soup. It’s what I’d eat if I were a weary, homesick Scandinavian spending time in Texas. Inexpensive, satisfying and, a nice change from Beef and Barley.
Top Review by Elisabetta47
Super soup. Italian DH is now a caraway-flavor fan. Because we like a more liquid soup, I halved the amount of lentils and barley. Thanks for the posting; this is a real winner.
- 2 -3 lbs beef shins or 2 -3 lbs about 1- 1 . 5 lbs steak, cubed
- 2 small onions, small dice
- 2 stalks celery, small dice
- 2 carrots, sliced on a small bias
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, saute shin bones or steak in a small amount of oil, until they brown.
- Remove from pot and set aside.
- Saute onions, celery and carrots , until they begin to brown, about 5-7 minutes, over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add water, whatever beef product your little heart has desired, and bring to a boil.
- Let it boil for several minutes until some of the “scum” has collected at the top.
- Now is the time to skim, skim, skim! Get rid of those impurities.
- Add all remaining ingredients at this point, let boil for about 5 minutes, then drop to a simmer for 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- Serve with a good, crusty bread.