1/1 Photo of Cara's Sweet and Sour Crock Pot Chicken
5 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
My friend Cara shared this family recipe with me - it's been a favorite on their table for years, and often requested. :) Prep time includes chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 6 -8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1Trim the chicken of fat and gristle, then cut the breasts or thighs into thirds.
- 2Sprinkle both sides of the chicken pieces with garlic salt; place into container and let stand in the fridge for an hour.
- 3Preheat your crock pot on low.
- 4Take the chicken from the fridge; put cornstarch and beaten eggs in separate shallow pans or dishes.
- 5Dredge the chicken pieces in the corn starch, then the egg.
- 6In a large skillet over medium temperature, heat the oil; slowly cook the dredged chicken pieces, frying to a golden brown on both sides, about 6 to 7 minutes per side.
- 7Remove the chicken from the skillet and place in the crock pot.
- 8In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar (or sugar substitute*), vinegar, chicken stock, salt, catsup, and soy sauce; simmer, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved and ingredients have incorporated well.
- 9Pour the sauce over the cooked chicken in the crock pot.
- 10Cook on low for 4 hours, then serve with rice and enjoy!
- 11*Note:if you use granular Splenda or Splenda Sugar Blend, you might want to use a bit less than 1/4 cup, then prepare the sauce to taste to make sure that it comes to the sweetness you prefer.
- 12Julie notes: I'd make some slight additions to the sauce, such as about a 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic and some chopped scallions; also, if you use chicken broth instead of stock, use unsalted broth then season with salt and/or soy sauce to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cara's Sweet and Sour Crock Pot Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.2
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 168.9 mg
- Sodium 610.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 30.9 g